Hierarchy of Trees

2012 Honorable Mention

Student: Ericka Napp
Course: Independent Study
Program: Grad, Year 1


My concept was to do tree rubbings and cover the tree in its own screen-printed ‘skin’. It was meant to be a comment on product development and consumerism and question our society. Why do we make, sell and buy products we don’t need just because we can? This subject stemmed from my time as a designer in the corporate world. When I left I thought, if money and recognition didn’t make me happy, what does? My investigation turned to Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, and lead me to explore basic humanistic desires in my installations. The second tree I printed represents our need on the hierarchical chart for safety. I wrapped this fallen tree on opening day of gun hunting season. The third project stands for our need for belonging. These trees belong to each other and belong to the forest, much like humans need each other.